With the Vining School closing, the district's attendance boundary lines for elementary school will need to be modified, and we will also be looking at the attendance lines for the two middle schools. In particular, the key questions that need to be answered are:
- How do we draw attendance lines at the elementary level with the Vining closing?
- How do we draw attendance lines to ensure that there is no middle school split from sending elementary schools? (i.e., how do we wend the split from the Kennedy/Parker Schools?)
- How do we best engage the community in this discussion?
To support this effort, we are creating a formal Redistricting Team. This team will ultimately be charged with making a redistricting plan recommendation to the School Committee, and will have the following composition:
- Assistant Superintendent
- Director of Finance and Operations
- Assistant Business Administrator
- 3 Elementary School Principals
- 1 Middle School Principal
- 1 School Committee Member
- 6 Parents (one from each current elementary zone, evenly split among middle school zones)
This team will begin meeting this spring prior to the end of school, with the goal of having a plan to submit to the School Committee by the start of the 2018-2019 school year. As part of this process, we anticipate having multiple public forums where parents from across the community will have the opportunity to provide feedback on the Redistricting Team's efforts.
If you are interested in being one of the parent representatives to the Redistricting Team, please send me an email at email@example.com with your name, address, and reason why you are interested, by Tuesday, May 9.
If you have any questions or comments about this process, also please send those to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tim Piwowar, Superintendent